Parent Code of Conduct
While winning is important, I recognize that fair play is the essence of the game.
I will set a good example to my child by behaving at all times in accordance with the following:
- I will not openly criticize the referees before, during or after games.
- I will not openly criticize our opponents or engage in arguments with their parents or officials during or after games.
- I will only give positive feedback to players on both teams.
- I will cheer at all games within the spirit of fair play.
- I will be mindful of our opponents’ feelings when cheering for our team in lop-sided games.
- I will do my best to teach my player to become a student of the game and do likewise.
- I will show the quality of our sportsmanship during and after each and every match and encourage my child to congratulate opponents and match officials after every game.
- I will do my very best to have my child on time and prepared for every match.
- I understand that improper behavior at a match, practice or other Westerly Youth Soccer sponsored event may result in a parent being asked to leave the field or the event by a referee, coach or team manager.
- I understand that, upon review of improper behavior by the Board of Directors of Westerly Youth Soccer, a parent can, and will if necessary, be suspended from watching their child play should such behavior be considered rude or otherwise offensive.
- I will leave the coaching to the coach and refrain from giving my child or any teammate any instructions during training or games.
- I will endeavor to give timely notice (more than 24h) to my coach should my player be unable to attend a team event.
- Should I have a soccer-related concern regarding my player, I agree to reflect for at least 24h before raising the issue with the coach.